Saturday, September 21, 2013

It Just Happens


                  
When people listen to some piece of music and say they like it I will often ask what they liked about it. Normally they describe it in physical ("I like to dance to it.") or emotional terms (It makes me happy."), but usually not in musical terms.

My school has fine arts objectives for our students where they are asked to respond verbally or in writing to a work of art. In my case the "art" is music. I tell them they can't just say they like or dislike a song they must give a reason, a musical reason supporting their opinion.

With younger students I would ask the same thing telling them to use their music vocabulary in their response.

For most it is a chore.  

I offer leading statements to help them form their answers.

It is still a struggle for some.

More guidance.

More discontent.

Then, it just happens.

At a totally unrelated moment a student declares, "The melody in that song is accompanied by chords so it has a homophonic texture."

(Upon hearing this I smile inwardly so as to not draw attention to the fledgling musician and, by doing so, frighten him or her into silence.)

Count them!

Six!

Six musical vocabulary terms!

"The melody in that song is accompanied by chords so it has a homophonic texture."

It just happens!

Quite without intent.
Quite naturally.

Because of this phenomenon I rarely get discouraged by the struggle some students have putting their thoughts related to music into musical terminology. I keep teaching them without hesitation.

Because it just happens!





No comments:

Post a Comment