Saturday, October 26, 2013

Ear Worms


there's a song stuck in my head
ba da da daaaahhh...
not a lot, but a bit of a bar
ba da da deeeee...
spinning 'round my ears too near
never able to get out of there, i fear
it'll never set me free

 
From "muddy melody" by Goode Guy
 
 
(I'll be honest - I couldn't bring myself to post a pic of an actual worm.
I don't want to have nightmares in addition to the earworm.)
 
Have you ever had an ear worm?

It can be quite disturbing.

It can be very irritating.

It can be ticklish.

No, it is not an actual worm.

Thank goodness!

It is that little snippet or phrase of a song that gets stuck in your head.

It is that song, jingle, or tune that you can't shake. 

You just keep whistling it...humming it...singing it.

And when you stop...it plays on... in your brain.

~*~*~*~

Ear worms cause enough of a sensation that researchers have investigated it.

A WebMD article reports that women are affected by it more often than men.

Strike 1.

It goes on to say that musicians and music lovers were afflicted more frequently and for a longer period of time.

Strike 2.

Then the article states that neurotic people seem to suffer more.

No comment.

~*~*~*~

The Top 10 Ear Worm Songs
  1. Other. Everyone has his or her own worst earworm.
  2. Chili's "Baby Back Ribs" jingle.
  3. "Who Let the Dogs Out"
  4. "We Will Rock You"
  5. Kit-Kat candy-bar jingle ("Gimme a Break ...")
  6. "Mission Impossible" theme
  7. "YMCA"
  8. "Whoomp, There It Is"
  9. "The Lion Sleeps Tonight"
  10. "It's a Small World After All"
Did you find yourself singing/thinking of any/each of the above tunes as you read the list?

Gotcha!

*smile*

~*~*~*~

While there is no ready cure for this, I usually try to sing or listen to another song to get the ear worm out of my head.

Regardless, I just try to distract my brain towards another direction.

Perhaps by singing

"Take Me Home, Country Roads"

Or

"Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini"

Or

"Amazing Grace"

~*~*~*~

Mean, eh?

At least I ended with a pleasant one to direct your mind and your thoughts.




No comments:

Post a Comment