Saturday, October 12, 2013

A Musical Refuge


Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness.
                                                                                                                                      ~ Maya Angelou



As I talk to others many share with me how much music means to them. Many demonstrate this through performing music, but nearly all experience refuge through listening to music.

For many - most - of them, music is a refuge in many situations.

For some, it is a refuge in all situations.

> When they are downhearted and discouraged many have a song or some piece of music that either commiserates with them or lifts them up.

> > When they are frustrated and need calm, music provides that.

> > > When they need to be motivated, music propels them onward.

I believe everyone finds refuge in music in some way.

~*~*~

I find that when I need a break or need to change my focus, I find myself turning to music.

> It might be sitting at the piano and playing/practicing/analyzing a passage.

> > It might be playing my Irish whistle and transporting myself to another land.

> > > It might be drumming on my congas and/or bongos and just letting all that is pent up flow out.

> > > > It might be singing a hymn or folk tune or some other song that lets me express what is inside.

> > > > > It might be turning on the radio or a cd or a playlist and just passively listening, letting the music flow over me, washing all thoughts from my mind.

> > > > > > It might be studying a piece of music, following the score and hearing the music in my mind.

Whatever method, I am thankful that music is a refuge for me.

I am thankful that I have so many musical outlets that are available to me.

~*~*~

Is music a refuge for you?
In what way?
Have you ever thought about that?

Perhaps now would be the time to do so.



No comments:

Post a Comment