Friday, October 4, 2013

An All-Consuming Passion


 

This past summer I had the privilege to participate in my state's arts academy. It was unlike anything I'd ever experienced before in my 25 years of teaching music.

I was surrounded by arts educators - not only music, but dance, theatre, and art teachers.
We understood each other.
We understood what drives each of us.

What might that be?

An all-consuming passion.

For arts educators and for me, our involvement in our specialty area is just that.

It must be an all-consuming passion.
Not just a fun thing to do, but a need.

I can not imagine a day without music.
I can not imagine a day without making music.
I can not imagine a day without talking about music.
I can not imagine a day without thinking about music.

It is part of me.

I found I was not alone when I was at the arts academy.
I found I was not alone as I talked with my students yesterday.

It made me smile to know that the next generation of musicians have that same passion.

I am fortunate to have a small part in the shaping of their thoughts in music.
They have no idea how much they help to shape my thoughts about music.

It is an even exchange for mutual growth

In music.

- That all-consuming passion for each one of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment