Tuesday, December 3, 2013

The Older I Get The Older the Music Gets

 
 
 
 


"I find that the older I get, the older the music I like." 
18 year old female
 
This post is inspired by a comment by a student.
 
I like that she is realizing that as she matures, her taste in music matures.
 
Matures in that she realizes that music that existed before she was born has some worth.
 
~*~*~*~
 
Now for me, obviously the older I get the older the music I like gets because, well, I'm farther away from those oldies than I was when I was younger.
 
These days more and more I am finding that many of the young people I come in contact with have some "classics"/"oldies" that they like.
 
For many of them, these designations mean the music was either from before they were born or the music of someone older than them.
 
~*~*~*~
 
Some times I worry that I am not able to sing recent hits word-for-word.
 
And then a song comes on the radio and I start singing along.
 
Somehow, I am picking up the songs and don't realize it.
 
That could be a scary thing, but for me I'm just glad that I am staying in touch with the music of today.
 
After all, as I get older so too will those songs.
 
I just hope that the songs that I happen to be learning and singing now evolve into new classics.
 
Otherwise I will know more useless, quality lacking songs.
 
Like the Billboards song.
 
Like "Hillbilly Will."
 
Like  ________________.
 
At least in my old age I will have lots of songs to sing for the
 
"Old Folks at Home."
 
 
 
*grin*
 
(In case you older readers were wondering, yes, the lyrics to this song have been edited to be politically correct. This is a trend in music today that I have mixed feelings about.)

No comments:

Post a Comment