Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Song Challenge




Whilst listening to NPR this morning I heard a bit about a song challenge.

I'm intrigued enough to want to investigate this more.

As I understand it, a group of musicians who dabble with composition and songwriting were gathering each week. A day or so before the gathering someone (the one in charge?) would send out a word phrase that HAD to be included in the week's song.  This phrase was sent out to everyone at the same time so that no one had an advantage over the others who were participating. It kind of gave them the starting point or "GO!"  Then when the group gathered each songwriter would share his/her new song. Constructive criticism, encouragement, and suggestions would be made for each new song.

I thought to myself, "Wow!" what a great way to generate a continuous supply of songs as well as offer a support system for novice and experienced songwriters.

I wanted to write on this topic as it might prove to be an interesting venture with students.

I think the whole idea of a support system for composers/songwriters would be so valuable. It would not be like a classroom setting.

That would be key.

There is no right or wrong.

There is no test.

There is just the offering of one's music. 

The idea of the required word phrase could help those who struggle with writers' block.

Or act as a springboard for all the lyrics.

I would suggest that each of the gatherings be recorded and then the recording shared in some secure way with each participant so as to provide feedback and recollection of session.

This way ideas that were generated during the session could be remembered.

This reminds me of many great musicians and bands who record(ed) their jam sessions or rehearsals. 

It takes great forethought to do this and I am curious about why they might have initially recorded the sessions, but I do see it as very valuable.

Not only is there documentation of a certain event via the resulting recording, but many times in jam sessions or rehearsals some amazing music is created that is not easily remembered the next day.  The recording helps with this memory.

Anyway, I am going to ponder on this idea of the song challenge and see how it might be used in the classroom.

I welcome any ideas you might have

Or...

Give me a phrase to use.



No comments:

Post a Comment