Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Day the Music Died




On February 3rd there were many posts and articles about that fateful crash in 1959 when the music world lost Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and "The Big Bopper" (J.P. Richardson).

No, this isn't a post about that tragic loss.

No, this isn't a post about the Don McLean song, "American Pie."

(Can you think about that song without humming a line or two? I can't.)

This post is about how my day went this past Feb. 3rd and how I felt the music had died for me.  (A bit of an exaggeration, but bear with me.)

The day went relatively well.

I enjoy the classes I teach.

I have fun.

And, a student really complimented me after class so I was very content and satisfied.

And proud that I'd reached a student who'd said he'd DREADED the class.

THAT'S what it's all about!
(And I'm not talking about the Hokey-Pokey!)

I arrived home and prepared for the afternoon's lesson.
It was a no-show.
This is not the first time it had happened.
I was just a bit discouraged because I enjoy the lessons and I was looking forward to it.

Then the message arrived via email (not telegram - I am NOT that old!) that my choral society rehearsal was cancelled due to weather.

[Editorial Note: As a former Midwesterner the weather did not warrant cancellation of anything, but, as many point out to me, I am in the South now.]

I was bummed.

Then I started see all these things about "The Day The Music Died."

And I made a connection to how my day was going.

Kind of bummed.

But, alas, music has not died.

Not for the world after that fateful day in 1959.
Sure, the loss was great, but the influence of those men lasted long beyond their music.

Not for me.
The next day brought another great day of classes.
Choral society rehearsal took place the next night.

[In far worse weather conditions than the previous not (roads were blocked/detoured) - but I won't mention that.]

And so, music continues on for me.

As I hope it does for you.

[I have returned.]



No comments:

Post a Comment