Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Winning The Lottery


Setting one's sights on a career in music is not much different from expecting to win the lottery.
~ The Chronicle of Higher Education, 9/15/2000

~*~*~

This quote from 15 years ago could infuriate many a musician and music educator.

On the surface, it would.

But when those same people thought about it, it's pretty accurate.

However, it is not impossible.

I'm happy to be one of the many exceptions to this statement.

I have supported myself comfortably with a career in music. 

I tell students that my job is like that of the professional athlete. 

I get paid to do my hobby. 

Can't get much better than that!

~*~*~



Now...if I actually won the lottery.

$$$$$ 
A whole LOT of money. 
$$$$$

What would I do?

After taking care of my family and my church, here's a couple obvious things I'd do: 
  • Get season subscriptions to all local arts organizations
  • Travel to attend music/arts-related events
Then, to occupy my days, I would open a music studio that offered free music lessons for all students.

I believe every child should be given the opportunity to learn music. To experiment. To have musical experiences.

Now, when I've mentioned this to other music teachers they jumped on me because, since my lessons would be free to students, I would/could be taking students from other teachers.

I hastened to tell them that I never said my music teachers would be teaching for free.

Students get free lessons.                            
Teachers who teach at my studio would get paid.

It would be a win-win situation.

~*~*~

Sounds great, right?!?

Unfortunately, I've heard one has to play the lottery to win the lottery.

That may leave me out, but still this is my musical dream. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment