Friday, July 11, 2014

The Best Job In Retail - Ever!



Unbeknownst to many readers, years ago I worked for the discount store Target. I started as a cashier ringing each item up individually (no scanners back then!), proceeded to "work the floor" in all departments, eventually moving to the price change team (back then every product had a price tag) and the cash office.

I enjoyed the job. No job responsibility beyond the work day. Nice people to work with. Nice discount on everything I purchased.

A good job.

However I recently read an article about what could be the best job in retail.

Ever.

It is the job of Grand Court Organist at the Macy's Center City store in Philadelphia.

Twice a day, six days a week, the grand court organist performs a 45-minute concert.

Pretty cool, eh?

Must be.

The current organist has held the position for 25 years.

His predecessor held the position for 23 years.

The person before that was organist for 49 years - from 1917-1966.

All I can say is WOW!

~*~*~

I can vaguely remember going to a department store in a mall somewhere - Neiman Marcus, perhaps -  that had a musician play a grand piano in a center court of the store.

I recall thinking that to be pretty cool.

In fact, I believe one of my school principals, who was also a church musician, played piano at a department store for a while.

~*~*~

I have always said one of the best things about my job is that I get paid to listen to, perform, and teach about music.

And, if I had to work retail again, I believe I, too, would think it to be the best job in retail if I could be a retail musician.

~*~*~

This post was inspired by this article -
Grand Court Organist

No comments:

Post a Comment