Wednesday, June 27, 2012

What a delightful way to spend one's time!

Earlier this month I attended a state conference for the Music Teacher National Association. This organization is made up of teachers who teach in studio settings. A studio setting is the typical private lesson setting. The majority of the members teach piano, but any who teach in the studio setting are encouraged to take part.

That's where I fit in. In the past 6 years I have taught voice, piano, trombone, flute, tuba, saxophone, trumpet, and...I think that's it.

I have found that I thoroughly enjoy the private studio setting. Working individually with students, guiding their progress, is encouraging to me as an instructor.

It is my goal to one day have my own private studio.

One day.

Yet another reason to attend this conference.



The headliner was Beth Klingenstein, an expert in guiding people with the logistics of running a private music studio as a business. She gave a lot of information in her three sessions. I took lots of notes. Despite having taught music for 23 years I learned a lot from her sessions. I have more of a foundation upon which to develop a music studio.

Jura Margulis



Besides the fact that Jura is a good looking Russian man. :)

He can also play the piano!



The highlight for me was getting to hear Jura Margulis perform on the piano in the evening then give a master class the next morning. He was amazing! He is a technical, yet expressive, performer. Often piano players are either one or the other. He is both. His fingers fairly flew across the piano.

I sat in the auditorium so that I could watch his fingers.

*smile*

It is amusing to notice the seating of the audience when attending a recital or concert that features the piano. Most audience members sit so that they can see the the fingers of the pianist. Because of this the seating is often skewed towards the left of the auditorium. Those who can not see the pianist's fingers were either a) late getting to the performance and thus missed out on the *good* seats; or b) just didn't know any better.

Meals and receptions at these conferences are wonderful times to meeting new colleagues and make new friends or connecting with old friends. Both are so encouraging to me as a musician and as a teacher.

Can anything be better than...

~learning new things?

~hearing great music?

~meething up with friends?

I think not.

It's getting late and I'm getting tired, but I can't end this without mentioning my time spent at the music store. One hour + 50% + 20% discount = 22 voice, piano, and method books.

My time since the conference has been spent playing through every book.

What a delightful way to spend one's time!

No comments:

Post a Comment