Friday, March 23, 2012

Live music....

Like many people I have days worth of recorded music. Today people count the amount of music in their possession by the number of tunes on their iPod. I don't like to limit myself and also include the myriad number of CDs, cassette tapes, 8-track tapes, record albums (33s, 45s, 78s, and one Thomas Edison 16s). If I listened to everything I currently own I'd most likely fill every waking moment for a couple of years.

Perhaps that means I'm old. Nah!

The purpose of this missive is not that I have a lot of recorded music. (My record album collection deserves its own blog post!) It is meant to be about the importance of live music.

True, I am a music professor who is surrounded by live music all day long. After all, my office is surrounded by practice rooms and studio offices. At times the sounds coming forth from them is so varied creating a cacophony which causes visitors to my office to question how I can stand it as they firmly close the office door. I have learned to tune it out - until something particularly lovely reaches my ears, then I am distracted. :)

But like most people, once I leave the music building (one can hope!), I am listening to recorded music on the radio, on tv, etc. Music that is rehearsed and not put out in public until it is perfection.

Contrary to this is live music. Live music is put out there with the hopes of perfection though, as humans, perfection is rarely achieved.
In the past month I have been blessed by live music. During one weekend alone I attended four different live performances at different venues. The following blogs are an attempt to record and reflect upon the concerts.

No comments:

Post a Comment