Thursday, August 6, 2009

Whistling...

The seven dwarves singing "Whistle while you work" is the tune most associate with whistling.

Then, for the artists out there, there is Whistler's Mother. All I know about her is she rocked in her rocking chair a lot. (Admittedly I may be thinking of the wrong painting!) Was the man's name really "Whistler" or did he just whistle a lot?

Anyone who knows me for very long knows that I whistle...a lot. My dad whistles a lot. I think whistling must be hereditary. :)

My students know I'm approaching the classroom because I whistle. I love teaching others to whistle. Rather I enjoy watching the little ones go the rest of the day irritating their classroom teachers by trying to whistle. :)

I whistle in the car. Recently I found myself wondering how many songs I've composed whilst whistling. Unfortunately those compositions have never been written down and thus are gone forever. That sounds profound. Honestly I hardly think much of what I've created whilst whistling is of any account, but one can dream. :)

I do know that when I whistle I tend to follow the established rules for melodic construction. Most of my melodies are a period with a definite antecedent ending in a half cadence followed by the consequent ending in an authentic cadence.

Lest you get the wrong idea, I can not whistle in harmony (yet!), but while I am whistling I have harmonies flowing through my mind.

I don't whistle entire classical compositions like those sometimes seen on TV, but I whistle well enough to enjoy it. I do know there are whistling conventions that intrigue me. I just might find myself at one of them one of these days.

How appropriate...the theme song for the Andy Griffith Show is indicating the end of the program...and so I must join them...

No comments:

Post a Comment